Oh how my daughter loves chocolate, candy and pretty much any dessert. Dessert wasn’t typically part of our evening meal, but it didn’t stop her asking every.single.night and the subsequent meltdown when she heard her sweet tooth was not to be satisfied. That’s not to say we never have sweet stuff, we do, just sporadically. After many a dinner time meltdown over the lack of dessert we happened upon a solution – predictability. For our family New Year resolutions along with upping our family activity we decided to start having dessert. Yes, our healthy family resolution was to have dessert – a piece of fruit Sunday through Thursday AND something a little more decadent at one meal on Fridays and Saturdays.
I’m pleased to report that the post dinner meltdowns have disappeared! And my parental guilt about dessert is non-existent – why? Those decadent desserts? They’re more often than not more healthy than indulgent. The latest addition to our family dessert repertoire? Frozen Chocolate Dipped Bananas a la Canyon Ranch style. (Thanks to instructional chef Michael for the frozen banana tip) .
Pros: Including my daughter in making them
Cons: Waiting for the chocolate to freeze and not eating more than one serving.
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Double boiler or similar set up with heat safe bowl and pan
Makes eight servings
- Peel banana and slice in half widthwise and slide a popsicle stick into each banana half.
- Place peeled halved bananas with sticks into freezer and wait for a good half hour or perhaps do this before school.
- Once the bananas are frozen melt chocolate chips over a double boiler (or a heat safe bowl over a regular pan with a little water)
- After removing the bananas from the freezer dip only half of the banana lengthwise into melted chocolate. You will need a fairly shallow dish to do this.
- Lay bananas on a sheet pan with chocolate side up and place in freezer until frozen.